Using the wrong kind of flat iron can lead to unsatisfactory results, to a painful experience, to wasted money, and worst of all may cause damage to your hair.
If you have beautiful natural black hair and want to find the best and the safest hair straightener for it, then you should check out our list of the best flat irons for black hair for 2021.
We have chosen the best hair styling tools which have all the features necessary for the efficient, safe, and easy straightening of all types of black hair.
Best Flat Iron for Black Hair
The best overall
The HSI Professional Glider is one of the best flat irons for black hair, as well as for any hair, especially one which is wiry, kinky, curly, frizzy, or fragile.
This salon-grade hair straightener is reasonably priced and comes in a set with a glove, Argan oil hair treatment, as well as a luxury travel and storage pouch.
The best flat iron for African American hair by HSI has premium ceramic plates and 8 HeatBalance sensors, which will ensure that the temperature is even without any hot or cold spots.
This means that you will be able to straighten, cult, flip or otherwise shape your hair faster and with fewer passes, and more importantly – the risk of burning and damaging your hair will be minimized.
Also, the ceramic plates have tourmaline ionic crystals, which will give your natural hair even more shine, and an irresistible silky feel.
This flat iron has an easy to adjust thermostat, from 140 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can set it to fit your specific needs and hair and minimize the heat damage.
The plates are 1 inch wide, so they are suitable for hair of all lengths, and bangs.
This affordable flat iron for black hair offers dual voltage, so you can take it with you to your international travels and use it, even if you are in Europe or elsewhere around the world.
You will receive a 1-year warranty if you purchase this hair styling tool.
- Sold at a very reasonable price
- It is gentle to hair, and yet efficient, making it perfect for all black hair types
- It has premium tourmaline crystal ion ceramic plates that heat up evenly and are gentle to the hair
- There are 8 sensors that will keep the plates safe for the hair, and yet efficient
- The width of 1-inch of the plates is perfect for hair of all lengths, and even for bangs
- The iron requires minimal passes, in order to get the best results, which minimizes the risk of damage due to the heat
- The temperature can be adjusted from 140-450 degrees Fahrenheit
- It is an excellent option for coarse, curly and thick hair
- The negative ions remove the frizz and static and will leave your hair silky and smooth
- The unit has dual 110-220 voltage, so it is perfect for traveling
- It comes with a pouch, a glove for hand protection, and leave-in argan oil treatment
- The flat iron is sold with a 1-year warranty
- It doesn’t have an auto shut-off function, so you will need to remember to unplug the unit after use
This high-end flat iron for black hair by Ghd features a unique ultra-zone predictive technology that senses the section of the hair you are treating, and then automatically adjusts the temperature so that it remains at the optimal 185 degrees Celsius, or 365 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the entire plates.
This helps ensure that no damage is caused by excessive heat to the hair, and will boost your hair strength by 70% and its shine by 20%. It will also help protect the color if your hair is dyed for twice as long.
The technology monitors the even heating about 250 times per second, and the sensors detect how thick your hair is, as well as your styling speed to adapt accordingly for the best results.
There will be no hair pulling and snagging with the Ghd Platinum+ thanks to its wishbone hinge, which keeps the two plates properly aligned at all times. Plus, it is designed to be ergonomic and comfortable to hold and use in any position.
The unit has an auto-sleep mode, which switches the heat and power off after 30 minutes of non-use.
It supports dual voltage, so it will serve you faithfully, no matter where you happen to travel.
The flat iron heats up in just 20 seconds, and with it, your hair will look perfect, smooth, and shiny, with minimal effort and no risk of damage from the heat.
The premium quality flat iron is another best flat iron for natural African American black hair and is sold with a heat resistant plate guard and a 3-year guarantee.
- Ultra-zone predictive technology for consistent heat depending on your hair type, and styling speed
- It will help strengthen your hair, make it smoother, and prolong the life of the color
- Perfect for all types of hair, including black hair
- The sensors will check the temperature 250 times per second
- Perfect plate alignment for safe and even heating, thanks to the wishbone hinge
- Precision milled plates with a gloss finish
- Automatic sleep mode after 30 minutes of non-use
- Maintains 185 degrees Celsius for the best and safest styling
- A 2.7 m swivel cord, and an ergonomic design
- A dual voltage will allow the tool to operate abroad and at home
- An added plate guard for safety and portability
- A 3-year guarantee
- It is on the high-end price-wise
Best budget-friendly option
If you want to buy a good quality flat iron for African American natural hair but don’t want to spend too much money, then you will be pleasantly surprised at the best budget-friendly option for 2021 – the Remington S9500PP PearlPro. This hair styling tool costs less than $25 but will allow you to straighten and smooth your hair quickly, easily, and safely.
The Remington flat iron for black hair has floating plates that are 1 inch wide, and which provide a smooth glide.
It has a swivel cord for easy maneuverability.
The ceramic plates can align perfectly together and have a real crushed pearl finish for a perfectly smooth glide, no matter your hair type.
The temperature of the unit can be adjusted easily for up to the salon-grade 450 degrees Fahrenheit. The exact temperature is displayed on the LCD display on the tool, and there is a temperature lock function to ensure that the flat iron stays at the exact temperature as you want it to at all times.
It heats up in just 30 seconds and helps remove the frizz from all kinds of African American natural hair.
The inexpensive flat iron for black hair has an auto shut off function when it is not used for 60 minutes.
- It costs less than $25
- The plates are 1 inch wide and made of ceramic covered with real crushed pearl coating for a smooth glide and even heating
- The tool can heat up to the salon-range 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and you can lock the temperature setting to prevent accidental pressing
- The temperature can be adjusted from 300 to 450 degrees and will allow the flat iron to straighten and smooth even the coarsest, thickest and curliest hair
- The flat iron heats up in less than 30 seconds
- There is an LCD digital display on the flat iron where you can view the temperature setting of your choice
- It has a swivel power cord
- A 60-minute auto shut off function
- It is not as durable as some of the high-end products on this list
The rest of the best flat irons for black hair for 2021
If you have trouble straightening your natural black hair, you may be using an unsuitable flat iron that doesn’t have sufficient heating power to manage your hair.
The BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated ionic flat iron has an adjustable temperature of up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
This will help you straighten and style even the thickest, curliest, or frizziest hair with minimal effort, as well as with minimal damage thanks to the titanium plates, which reduce the frizz safely via negative ions.
This best flat iron for African American hair for 2021 has extra-long plates with titanium ionic plating, a streamlined profile and a built-in ionic generator. All of this combined together will help you straighten your hair to perfection much faster, and the end result will be shiny and smooth hair.
You can also use it to create irresistible waves and curls.
All of this will happen without a risk for your hair, because of the evenly distribute instant heating capabilities of the flat iron by BaBylissPRO.
Thanks to the ions produced by the flat iron, you can say goodbye to the unsightly frizz.
The appliance has special Ryton housing, which will stay cool and comfortable to hold while you work on your hair.
It has a long power cord with a swivel function, which will make your daily hairstyling routine much more convenient.
The straightener is offered in versions with 1.75-inch and 1.25-inch plates so that you can purchase the one suitable for your needs and your hair.
- Easy to adjust variable temperature setting from 100 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Ceramic and titanium plates for quick and even heating
- An integrated ionic generator for smooth and shiny hair
- Ryton housing will keep the appliance cool, safe and comfortable to hold and use
- A long, swiveling power cord
- It offers instant heat and recovery
- Available in two plate width options – 1.25 or 1.75 inches
- It is not as affordable as some of the other flat irons on our list
The HAI Classic Convertible flat iron is a professional flat iron for black hair, with variable temperature settings, suitable for the driest, thickest and coarsest hair.
You can easily adjust the heat from 250 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can treat any type of hair efficiently and with minimal risk of heat damage or burning.
This high-quality hair straightener has 1.25-inch wide precision ceramic plates for quick and safe, one-pass straightening and styling. Their specially designed beveled edges allow for absolute precision when styling each strand of hair.
The appliance features an advanced heat technology that allows it to heat up in seconds, as well as for fast recovery, and even distribution to avoid hot spots and damage to the hair.
The HAI Classic Convertible is one of the most versatile flat irons on the market, which can be used for just about any type of hair, from the finest hair to hair with extensions, or highly textured and coarse hair.
It is among the best flat irons for natural African American hair you can find on the market for 2021.
- 25-inch ceramic plates with beveled edges for perfect styling
- Adjustable temperature from 250 up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Suitable for all types of hair, including black natural hair
- Even heating, fast heating, and recovery thanks to the advanced heat technology
- Available in blue and gold colors, and in a premium package with a set of hair treatments and conditioners
- Easy to use
- It doesn’t support dual voltage
If you are always worried that you are running late when getting ready for work or for going out, then the fast-heating CHI G2 flat iron for black hair can help you save time and still always have perfectly smooth, frizz-free and styled hair.
This premium quality hair straightener heats up in just 40 seconds, so you can go ahead and straighten and style your hair without the need to wait. It can heat up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
The hairstyling appliance has user-friendly controls and a mode button that you can use to easily and quickly select the desired preset temperature setting.
Plus, its nifty color-coded display will show the temperature, and will also light up in blue, red or green colors, so that you know when it is ready and safe to use on your precious hair.
The plates are made of top quality ceramic and titanium, which provide evenly distributed heat for minimal hair damage and a perfect result. The straightener will glide through your hair easily and without the painful pulling, which some other flat irons can cause.
It is sold with a special thermal mat, so you can place it on any surface safely without burning it.
Even if you forget it plugged in, you don’t need to worry, because it has a 1-hour safety auto shut-off function.
The CHI G2 works with dual voltage, so it is great for traveling abroad too.
You will receive a 2-year warranty with this top quality hair styling tool for peace of mind.
Overall, this is the best flat iron for natural African American hair for 2021.
- Features high grade ceramic and titanium plates for even heating and smooth use
- It will heat up in just 40 seconds
- The temperature can be adjusted up to 425 degrees
- It has a color-coded display that will light up in a different color to alert you when it is safe to use the hair styling tool
- It has preset temperatures accessible with a press of a button
- The device is sold with a safety mat
- It has a 60 minute shut off timer which switches the power off when not in use
- It works with 110 and 220 volts, so it is suitable for use anywhere
- The flat iron comes with a 2-year limited warranty
- The controls are on the inside of the straightener, which some people may find inconvenient
The Kipozi Professional flat iron is a reasonably priced hairstyling tool suitable for all black hair types and is especially efficient for minimizing and eliminating frizz.
It has an adjustable temperature from 170 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit so that you can use it on all hair types – from the finest to the coarsest and thickest ones.
The titanium-coated plates are 1.75 inches wide and align together seamlessly for easy and safe use.
The hair styling tool has a digital LCD where you can view the chosen temperature setting.
It also has a 60-minute automatic shut off feature for safety reasons.
The Kipozi hair straightener has an 8 foot long, swiveling power cord for ease of use.
It comes in an elegant black and pink color and is sold in a luxurious gift box and a velvet bag for storage of the tool when it is not in use.
So, if you want to invest in the best flat iron for African American hair, the Kipozi Professional is another exceptional choice.
- Adjustable temperature from 170-450 degrees Fahrenheit
- The temperature setting can easily be adjusted from Fahrenheit to Celsius
- It heats up in less than a minute
- An LCD where you can view the current temperature setting
- Perfectly aligned, 1.75-inch titanium coated plates for easy use without any hair pulling
- Minimizes the frizz, and achieves smooth and shiny hair every time
- An 8-foot swivel cord for hassle-free use
- A 60-minute shut-off timer function for safety
- It comes in two beautiful color options and an elegant gift box and a velvet drawstring storage bag
- It has dual voltage and thus can travel with you and serve you around the world
- The price is much lower than some of the high-end products on this list
- The controls are on the side of the flat iron, so there is a risk of accidentally engaging them during use
The Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Ion Smooth+ is one of the top preferred flat irons for black hair because it is easy to use, offers precise and even heating, and will eliminate the frizz and make your hair look smoother and shinier than ever.
This hair straightening tool has 1.25 inch wide ceramic plates, with an Ion Complex technology for gentler, faster, and more even heating and styling.
The flat iron relies on negative ions and on far-infrared heat to treat your hair with care, and minimal damage from the heat.
It has an adjustable temperature that can be set up to 410 degrees and will heat up to the maximum for just 60 seconds. Its recovery time is even faster – only 5 seconds!
You can view the temperature setting on the LCD display on the side of the tool.
This ergonomic flat iron for black hair by Paul Mitchel Pro Tools has plates with beveled edges that will not leave any demarcation lines on your smooth and straight hair.
You can purchase this salon-quality hair styling tool in four different colors and patterns, including the standard black, and cosmic, California dreaming and stargazer.
- Very elegant design, available in 4 colorful options
- 25-inch plates made of ceramic, and featuring the trademark Ion Complex technology for far-infrared heat and negative ion treatment
- The temperature can be adjusted up to 410 degrees Fahrenheit
- It heats up in 60 seconds and recovers in just 5 seconds
- There is an LCD to monitor the temperature setting
- The plates have beveled edges, so there will be no unsightly lines on your smooth hair
- It has an auto shut off timer which you can set to up to 60 minutes
- This is a professional range hairstyling tool
- Dual voltage
- It is on the expensive side when compared to other products on this list
The InfinitiPro Tourmaline Ceramic flat iron by Conair is an excellent, affordable option if you want a reliable and durable hair straightener for your natural black hair.
This hair styling tool has 1.5-inch tourmaline ceramic floating plates, which will help you strengthen or flip your hair without frizz, and without pulling or exposing it to dangerous amounts of heat.
It is a fast-heating tool and can reach a maximum temperature of 455 degrees Fahrenheit for just 15 seconds.
It has a total of 5 heat settings that you can pick from, as well as a safety-related automatic shut off function.
The tool comes with a heat shield to keep you safe during or before and after use.
It also has a long swivel cord, which will not get tangled or get in your way when you are styling your hair.
Overall, for this price, and the value offered, the InfinitiPro is one of the best deals you can find on the market in 2021 when it comes to the best flat irons for natural African American hair.
- Very fast heat up in just 15 seconds
- Adjustable temperature from 320F up to 455F degrees
- 5 preset heat settings
- Well-aligned 1.5-inch tourmaline ceramic plates
- Auto shut off safety feature
- Long swivel power cord
- It comes with a protective heath shield
- You can purchase it for a very reasonable price
- No dual voltage support
If you are fed up with buying new flat irons every few months after they suddenly stop working, then we strongly recommend the ISA Professional Titanium Flat Iron, which is sold with an industry-leading 5-year warranty.
This premium-quality hair styling tool is an excellent option for all black hair types because it has a wide temperature range of 265 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Plus, it has long plates that end with a convenient arc shape which can be used for straightening, and for curling of long and short hair.
It has a backlit LCD display where you can check the exact temperature of the plates before you use it, or as you are using it.
It has extra-long tapered plates of 4.5 inches with arc-shaped tips, which are very handy for those of you who want to style your hair faster, with fewer passes, as well as for straightening and shaping bangs and shorter hair without the risk of burning your scalp.
The width of the plates is 1 inch.
The tool also has an automatic shut off function after 60 minutes without being used.
- Extra-long titanium coated plates with an arc-shaped curve
- A variable temperature of up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- 1 inch wide plates, which are 4.5 inches long
- A backlit digital display
- Easy to adjust and use
- A 60-minute auto shut-off feature
- It is sold with a 5-year warranty
- The buttons are located on the side near the handle, so there is a risk of pressing them accidentally during use
This versatile hairstyling tool by Furiden can be used as a hair straightener and as a curling iron all in one.
It is compact in size, and yet multi-functional and powerful.
You can easily adjust the heat from 250 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and it takes only 15 seconds to reach the optimal temperature for use.
The floating plates are 1-inch wide, and the tool is comfortable to grip and use thanks to its ergonomic design and 360-degree swivel cord.
The heat is dispersed evenly on the plates, and there will be no tugging and snagging of the hair, no matter whether you are using it to straighten or to curl your hair.
It is travel-ready and works with a worldwide voltage of 110-240V. Plus, it has a safety lock for safe storage and portability.
The beautifully designed hair straightening and curling tool come with a 100% 6-month satisfaction guarantee, and 24/7 customer support.
It is sold at an excellent price, and with a storage bag, a protective glove, 2 salon hair clips and a comb included in the package.
- It has a versatile design so you can use it as a straightener and a curling iron
- It will save you money for having to purchase a flat iron and a curling iron separately
- It heats up in only 15 seconds
- The temperature can be adjusted from 250 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- it is travel friendly, with a safety lock, compact design, and dual voltage
- 1-inch floating plates
- Swivel power cord
- The device is sold with a 6-month satisfaction guarantee
- It comes with a bag, a glove, a salon comb, and two hair clips
- Some people find it less durable than the higher-end flat irons on the market
The Bed Head Pixie is a compact flat iron that is perfect for those of you with short hair, or those who are shopping for a truly portable hairstyling tool that can be carried anywhere.
This small-sized flat iron for black hair has ½ inch tourmaline ceramic plates and is only 3 x 5.1 x 14.1 inches in size.
Although it is small in size, the Bed Head Pixie hair straightener can heat up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit for only about 30 seconds.
It will help reduce the frizz and will leave your hair and bangs smooth and shiny.
The travel-friendly flat iron for black hair has dual voltage.
It has a swivel and tangle-free cord for easy use anywhere and at any time.
This fun colored hairstyling tool is ideal for people who travel a lot, and it costs a fraction of what the higher-end and larger flat irons cost.
So, when it comes to traveling and portability, this compact hair styling tool is the best flat iron for African American hair.
- Very compact size and light in weight
- Dual voltage
- ½ tourmaline ceramic plates for even heating and frizz-free hair
- A variable temperature of up to 450F degrees
- Heats up in 30 seconds
- A fun, colorful design
- The plates have a small surface, so it may not be suitable if you have very long and thick hair
Features to look for when shopping for the best flat iron for black hair
Since straightening and smoothing most types of black hair requires specific heat settings and features, you will probably find the task of shopping for an efficient and safe hair straightener for your natural African American hair much easier, if you know which ones you should pay closer attention to.
The heat settings
The temperature setting of the flat iron is the most important feature to consider when buying a new hairstyling tool.
Depending on your specific hair type, you should choose an appliance that is capable of straightening your hair, removing the frizz, and making it look smooth and shiny, but without the risk of damage and burning.
For black, curly, and coarse hair, which is dry, you will need to find a device that has the highest temperature settings. These are usually the premium quality flat irons with titanium coated plates that have excellent heat conductivity and spread the heat evenly.
So, you should look for a flat iron that is capable of reaching a temperature of at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit or even better up to 450 degrees.
At the same time, it makes sense to buy a hairstyling tool that has an adjustable temperature, so you can use it safely for the different sections of your hair, and for different styling purposes too.
Also, if your natural African American hair is damaged from too many hair treatments, or is brittle, you will need a gentler tool with lower temperature settings available.
We have chosen hair straighteners that have variable temperature settings in wide ranges and are easy to adjust, so whichever flat iron you pick from our list – you cannot go wrong when it comes to sufficient heating and adjustability.
The plate width and size
The width and length of the flat iron plates are essential for the efficiency and speed of the tool when used on your specific type of hair.
If you have long and thick hair, you may want to opt for a straightener that has wider and longer plates, starting from 1.5 inches and above. This will allow you to straighten or style larger sections of hair with a single pass.
This means that you will save time, as well as keep your hair protected from being exposed to too much heat for a long time.
For shorter hair or bangs, you may want to opt for narrower plates that are 1-inch wide or even thinner.
The negative ion generating function
When you use a flat iron at the highest possible heat option, your hair can become damaged from the excessive heat. Since natural black hair is usually dry, the lack of moisture can make this risk even higher.
So, choosing a flat iron that has a negative ion generator can help replenish the moisture in the hair, and can help reduce the risk of damaging it while using the hair styling tool at a high heat setting.
Plus, the negative ion technology will help reduce the static and unsightly frizz of the hair, which is a common problem for people with African American hair.
The plate material and composition
The material and coating used for the plates of the flat iron are essential for the end results of its use.
The most common and highly recommended materials used for the plates of the straighteners are ceramic and titanium.
Since there is no definitive answer to the question of which one is the better option, you should just make sure that the titanium or ceramic used is of premium quality and is made of 100% of one or both materials.
Ceramic plates are gentler on the hair and ensure that the heat is distributed evenly throughout the plates. The titanium ones are more durable and stronger and also allow for faster hair straightening and styling.
Tourmaline is another material that is used by some of the manufacturers of flat irons. It is usually combined with ceramic and adds more durability and better heat distribution to the plates.
The more versatile an appliance is, the more possibilities you have to use it for different purposes. Some of the best flat irons for black hair which we have chosen for you can be used as hair straighteners, as well as for curling the hair or flipping it and creating waves. Some of them have rounded or beveled edges and forms.
Of course, if you are shopping for the best flat iron for natural African American hair that is strictly for hair straightening, it is recommended that you invest in a flat iron, which is made for this sole purpose, and which will efficiently and safely do the job it is made for.
Floating plates design
Choosing the best flat iron for natural African American hair with floating plates will help you use the tool on any type of hair without missing a strand. The floating plates are connected via a suspension system, which allows you to press them and align them closely together, and help them stay in that flat position.
So, if you want a flat iron that will work impeccably with a single pass and without any strands which need to be flattened and straightened over and over again, it is advisable that you look for a tool with high quality floating plates.
Also, if you have a sensitive scalp, the floating plates will allow you to adjust the pressure which is applied on the hair and thus reduce the pulling of the hair and the painful tugs.
The comfort and ease of use
You wouldn’t want to have a tool that is way too complicated to set and use or one which doesn’t offer a comfortable grip, right?
Pick a hairstyling tool that is ergonomic, and will fit your hand size comfortably. The good quality flat irons for black hair have handles that provide an easy and secure grip and allow for easy and effortless hand movements.
A slippery and uncomfortable flat iron will not only cause you discomfort, but can also make the process of straightening or styling your hair more complicated, and there is a risk that you drop it on the floor and break it.
Also, you should look for a hair straightener that has control buttons in a place that will be easy to access, and yet will not get in the way of your hairstyling process.
Some people find that controls located near the handle increase the risk of accidental pressing and switching of the settings.
You may want to opt for a tool that has its controls located on the top or on the front, to decrease the chances of accidentally witching the adjustments or turning the unit off during use.
The overall weight of the tool is also essential. Make sure that you choose one which is lightweight and which will not cause you fatigue and difficulties, especially if you plan on using it for long hair styling sessions.
Since flat irons can get dangerously hot, you should consider the safety features which the tool offers before purchasing it.
Choose a hair straightener that comes with a heat resistant glove, a protective shield or box, and one that has a stay-cool exterior.
Also, if you are forgetful, or just in case, you should buy a flat iron which has an automatic shut off function. This will keep your home safe in case you accidentally forget to unplug the device after use.
Dual voltage support
If you travel a lot or are planning to travel abroad, then it is a good idea to invest in the best flat iron for natural black hair which can work both with 110 volts and 220 volts. This means that you can take your hair straightener with you wherever you go and ensure that your hair looks perfect without the need to purchase another flat iron or a transformer to use it overseas.
The heating time
If you are always in a hurry, or simply don’t want to waste time on your hairstyling procedures, then you should choose a flat iron that heats up quickly to the desired temperature.
The faster it reaches the temperature you have set, the faster you can go ahead and start working on your hairstyle.
Also, with a fast-heating straightener, you can do quick touch-ups just before leaving home for work, when going out or when guests come unexpectedly.
The cord length
Depending on where you will be using the hair straightener, you may want a tool with a longer, swiveling power cord, so that it can reach to the nearest power outlet, and yet provide you with freedom of movement to achieve the perfect hairstyle without any restrictions.
So, choosing a flat iron with a professional length power cord of 8 feet is recommended if your power outlet is not directly next to the mirror you will be using.
The swiveling function of the cord will prevent it from getting all tangled or damaged from all the pulling and the movements you make while you are working on your hair.
Even though you are most likely not buying the flat iron for its looks, but for its functionality, it is important to choose one which you like visually and which makes you happy.
If you work in a salon, then the aesthetics of the flat iron is much more critical, as your customers will be looking at it all day long.
No matter what your budget for a flat iron is, it makes sense to protect it by choosing the best flat iron for natural black hair, which comes with some kind of guarantee or warranty by the manufacturer.
The reputable manufacturers and brands offer longer warranties for their products because they are confident of their high quality and durability.
A longer warranty will protect your investment.
There are good flat irons in all price ranges, so make sure that you set your budget first, and then try to find the one which offers the best quality and value for the money you are prepared to spend.
Tips for the most efficient and safe use of flat irons for black hair
Even the perfect flat iron will not do the proper job of straightening or making your hair look smooth, frizz-free, and shiny if you do not use it properly.
Here are some tips to make the most of your flat iron when straightening your natural hair:
- Choose the best flat iron for natural African American hair
- Use it only when the hair is washed, cleaned and properly conditioned with the suitable shampoo and conditioner for your hair type
- Use a detangling brush in the shower before the straightening
- Brush it comb it
- Dry your hair thoroughly before straightening it
- Straighten it only when it is properly moisturized, but completely dry to avoid frizz
- Use a heat protectant serum or spray
- Set your flat iron to the appropriate temperature for your hair type, and wait for it to preheat completely
- If you are not sure about the temperature, start with a lower setting, such as 375 degrees, and examine the results, and adjust the heat by increasing it if necessary
- Straighten the hair by dividing it into smaller parts, and using the flat iron section by section
- Divide the hair into sections according to the width and length of the plates of the flat iron
- Comb each section and pass the flat iron through it not too slowly neither too quickly
- Move the flat iron from the roots to the hair ends
- Start from the lower layers of hair first and gradually move up
- Unplug the flat iron and let it cool down before you put it back in its box, bag or other storage
- Limit the frequency of the straightening procedures to only twice or three times per month
- Give your hair a break in between straightening treatments
Last update on 2021-02-26 at 07:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API